Is Chris Hemsworth the Modern Era Arnold Schwarzenegger?
Now before you think this comparison is too much of a stretch, there are several similarities between these two phenomenal actors.
Arnold and Chris have both played iconic roles such as the Terminator from the hit Terminator movies, and the Marvel Studios Asgardian god of thunder and have gathered dozens of awards between them for their performances on screen.
Today we'll study these two great actors in detail.
We’ll be highlighting their early beginnings, roles, fitness programs and most importantly, diet.
By the end of this article, you’ll see for yourself that these two actors are really more alike than you've noticed.
Arnold was born in Thal, Austria on July 30, 1947 to a Catholic family and his father was the local chief of police of German descent.
Chris on the other hand, like Arnold, was born 11th August, 1983 in Melbourne outside American borders to Catholic parents but will still go on to break into Hollywood and become the globally recognized actor he is today.
He also came from humble beginnings; his father was a social services counsellor and his mother was an English teacher.
Chris also has multiple heritages, having Scottish, English, as well as German ancestry.
Before starting his acting career, Chris worked in a pharmacy where he used to… clean breast pumps.
In his words:
Arnie would fulfil his dream of becoming an actor after gathering fame as a bodybuilder.
Arnold at 19
In 1970, at just 23 years of age, he would land his first role as Hercules in Hercules in New York.
He would go on to appear in less significant movies before landing Conan in Conan the Barbarian which would give him even more traction in Hollywood and America at large.
Like Arnie, Hemsworth would begin to try to break into the Hollywood scene at a very young age, starring in series at only 19.
21 year old Hemsworth
He would also compete in Dancing With The Stars, Australia before Hemsworth got his big Hollywood break playing the Asgardian God of Thunder.
His performance as Thor would gather him massive worldwide recognition and was met with favorable reviews with critics.
Hemsworth would go on to reprise his role as Thor in multiple Marvel movies along the decade, becoming a true Hollywood A-lister and global superstar.
He’s starred in dozens of movies and series, taking on a wide variety of roles, proving his mettle as an actor and racking up an impressive net worth.
The two actors against all odds including being non Americans, would break into and endear themselves to Americans.
Health and Fitness.
Both actors are health and fitness junkies, with each of them being considered as male sex symbols and the standard for a well-developed, well-built physique.
Arnold was obviously a champion bodybuilder but Hemsworth is no slouch himself, as he’s posted videos of his rigorous training which is clearly not for beginners or veterans that are faint of heart.
Chris’ (Reported) Workout Routine.
Chris beast-training favors mobility over standard weightlifting mostly because of his profession as an action movie star.
Bodyweight Circuit Training
- Pull-ups (3 sets, 15 reps) for lats
- Sit-Up (3 sets, 20 reps) for abs
- Push-Ups (3 sets, 15 reps) for chest
- Front Box Jump (3 sets, 10 reps) for hamstrings
- Bodyweight Squat (3 sets, 15 reps) for quadriceps Iron Circuit Training
- Barbell Squat (3 sets, 15 reps) for quadriceps
- Barbell Bench Press (3 sets, 5 reps) for chest
- Standing Military Press (3 sets, 8 reps) for shoulders
- Barbell Deadlift (3 sets, 5 reps) for hamstrings
- Hammer Curls (3 sets, 5 reps) for biceps
Arnold’s Workout Routine (As A Bodybuilder)
Arnie at Vince’s Gym
As a bodybuilder, Arnie is regarded as arguably the greatest to ever do it; racking up 7 Mr. Olympia awards amongst dozens others.
His physique was truly a sight to behold; his well chiseled and symmetrical body and poses wowed judges and audiences alike, giving him the moniker; the Austrian Oak.
Arnold’s workout routine is all-encompassing, brutally intense and highly effective. Below is the Governator’s specific workout he was touting in a 1991 issue of Muscle Magazine:
- Bench press – 5 sets, 6-10 reps
- Flat bench flies – 5 sets, 6-10 reps
- Incline bench press – 6 sets, 6-10 reps
- Cable crossovers – 6 sets, 10-12 reps
- Dips – 5 sets, to failure
- Dumbbell pullovers – 5 sets, 10-12 reps
- Front wide-grip chin-ups – 6 sets, to failure
- T-bar rows – 5 sets, 6-10 reps
- Seated pulley rows – 6 sets, 6-10 reps
- One-arm dumbbell rows – 5 sets, 6-10 reps
- Straight-leg dead-lifts – 6 sets, 15 reps
- Squats – 6 sets, 8-12 reps
- Leg presses – 6 sets, 8-12 reps
- Leg extensions – 6 sets, 12-15 reps
- Leg curls – 6 sets, 10-12 reps
- Barbell lunges – 5 sets, 15 reps
- Standing calf raises -10 sets, 10 reps
- Seated calf raises – 8 sets, 15 reps
- One-legged calf raises (holding dumbbells) – 6 sets,12 reps
- Barbell curls – 6 sets, 6-10 reps
- Seated dumbbell curls – 6 sets, 6-10 reps
- Dumbbell concentration curls – 6 sets, 6-10 reps
- Close-grip bench presses (for the all three heads) – 6 sets, 6-10 reps
- Pushdowns (exterior head) – 6 sets, 6-10 reps
- Barbell French presses (interior head) – 6 sets, 6-10 reps
- One-arm dumbbell triceps extensions (exterior head) – 6 sets, 6-10 reps
- Seated barbell presses – 6 sets, 6-10 reps
- Lateral raises (standing) – 6 sets, 6-10 reps
- Rear-delt lateral raises – 5 sets, 6-10 reps
- Cable lateral raises – 5 sets, 10-12 reps
Calves and Forearms
Same as Monday, Wednesday and Friday
Same as Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Although Arnie is now pushing 80, he still works out, and is able to maintain most of the vigor of his youth.
In an interview with Men’s Health, Arnie reveals he doesn’t train as hard as he used to because of age, but he still hits the gym everyday and enjoys lifting with the younger blood, most of whom still can’t keep up with him!
The god of thunder's diet mainly consists of protein, which is to be expected, given his massive size and impressive build.
In an interview, he revealed that he eats very high protein foods six times a day during filming.
His proteins consists of
- Chicken breasts
- Cottage cheese
- Avocado for some healthy fat
- Brown rice.
He also takes
- Hemp seeds
- Almond butter
- Maca powder &
- Chia seeds
- Breakfast: 1 cup oatmeal, 1 banana, 1/2 cup sultanas, fat-free milk, 4 egg whites, 1 egg, 50 g cheese, protein shake, orange juice
- Brunch: Cottage cheese, turkey roll, mixed nuts, protein shake, yogurt
- Snacks: Beef jerky
- Lunch: 3 chicken breasts, 100 g brown rice, 1 cup broccoli, 1 cup kidney beans, 1 glass of fat-free milk
- Dinner: 3 salmon fillets, 100 g quinoa, 100 g asparagus, a glass of fat-free milk, yogurt
- Supper: 2 boiled eggs, 2 brown bread slices, protein shake.
Unlike Arnie, Chris may not have trained under the Iron Guru, or been a professional bodybuilder but he's still managed to get an impressive frame and build that would've been the envy of the Golden Era regardless.
Arnold’s Diet (As A Bodybuilder).
This is Arnie’s reported diet for bodybuilding during prime years
Whole Eggs, bacon or Sausage, Ezekiel Bread, Avocado, Oats, Grilled Fish, Red Meat, Grilled Lean Meat, Vegetables, Nuts, Sweet Potato, Brown Rice, Full Fat & Cottage Cheese.
Arnold’s Diet Today
In an episode of Men’s Health Gym & Fridge, Arnold revealed what he eats these days in retirement.
The 38th Governor of California is even more health conscious these days and takes more oatmeal, greens, supplements and stays away from meat.
Here’s a summary of what you can find in the Governator’s fridge:
- Fruits: Strawberries, watermelon, grapes, bananas and pineapple
- Protein: Eggs, almond milk.
Finally, both could use a big tub of NSP Milk and Egg. Arnold still works out regularly and Chris is still very much in action and there's always room for the star to add even more muscle to his already impressive physique.
Now we think of it, we fulfilled a large one time order to an anonymous person in CA around the time Chris was training for Love and Thunder.
Was it the Prince, sorry King of Asgard?
We'll never know.
Either way, these are the facts that link these two actors and bodybuilders together.
With Hemsworth being just 38 years, there's still more than enough time for him to use his popularity and get involved in politics and maybe even along the line compete professionally?
Are these actors more alike than you thought?
Let us know in the comments!